A Legacy Gift to Fort York from George Waters
For more than forty years George Waters made history at Fort York, first as a uniformed interpreter, for some time as curator, and not least as deputy director of the Toronto Historical Board which once administered the fort. His involvement as a volunteer with The Friends was long-standing, productive, and meaningful. When he died last December, George did not forget Fort York, but instead bequeathed $50,000 to the Fort York Foundation. The Friends have recommended to the City that the library in the new building be named in his honour. The Fort York Foundation is leading the Fort York Invigorated Campaign to raise funds to help the City of Toronto open at Fort York the first Class-1 museum facility at any of the City’s museums. This state-of-the-art building will finally allow remarkable artifacts from City of Toronto collections to be displayed and interpreted in a secure setting. The Visitor Centre will also enable City of Toronto Museum Services to borrow material from anywhere to help us tell the story of Fort York, the place where urban Toronto was founded in 1793.